It was really like a Masterchef mystery box challenge. We wanted dinner and after a long trip overseas and with no time to grocery shop, all we had to work with were a can of dressed crab, a bag of frozen squid, several greens and the pantry staples like nuts and dried spices.
Yet Darsh managed to come up with this Spanish-Indian inspired dish. YUM! It is really simple to do, minus all the mincing of course. Then it’s just a matter of stuffing and baking. Work done. Serve these little stuffed beauties with rice, or grilled vegetables, don’t forget a glass or two of wine. Gold.
- 4 large squid, cleaned with tentacles reserved and wings chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 large brown mushrooms, minced
- 1 can (43g) dressed crab
- 1 large green chilli, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped roasted cashew nuts
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 2 large lime
- 2 large tomatoes, roughed chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Few basil leaves, chopped for garnish
- Grated cheddar (optional)
- 1. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions till translucent.
- 2. Add garlic, mushroom and chili. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- 3. Throw in the spring onions (save some for garnish), chopped squid wings, crab, juice of half a lime, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and cook for further two minutes. Add cashew.
- 4. Check seasoning. Cook for a minute. Turn off heat, set aside and allow to cool.
- 5. Meanwhile, mix together the rub ingredients - the garam masala powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and 1 tablespoon oil.
- 6. Once the stuffing is cool, stuff all the squid and secure with toothpicks. Ensure the squids are not too fully stuffed - leave some room on top for expansion.
- 7. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees. Rub the mix over the stuffed squid and reserved tentacles. Remove excess.
- 8. Place the squid and tentacles in a baking tray, squeeze tomatoes on it and add salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning squid over halfway.
- 9. When squid is done, remove. Transfer squid and tomatoes onto a serving bowl and serve with lime wedges, remaining spring onions, basil and grated cheese.
You can always replace dressed crab with fresh crab meat. Just make sure you adjust the seasoning for the stuffing accordingly, as tinned dressed crab meat are already seasoned with at least lime, salt, pepper and paprika.